Sunday, March 4, 2012

The Name Game

We've been discussing how to go about naming the RubyMac dresses for a while.  I wanted to make it easy by giving each individual style its own name, rather than a style number.  Since I'm often the one answering when people call regarding things they've seen on our website, I know it can be kind of awkward trying to explain the item you're talking about.  Our product names are usually just descriptions, so logically, you describe the item you see in the picture.  It's so much easier when that item has a name -- the "umm... can you give me the SKU of that item?" moment is erased.  That makes it easier for all.  We've named the  fabrics as well, so if you call and tell us you want the Lundy Dress made in Pop Garden, we'll know exactly what you're talking about without you having to describe anything at all.  

Ok, so I just explained why they're named rather than telling you where the names came from.  My original idea was that we'd name them after current employees, former employees, and employees' pets (since the whole line is named after our pets).  That idea went out the window pretty fast though.  We don't have many employees, and we have a lot of dresses!  So, Siobhan and I sat down in her office with this mission in mind.  Within moments, we both had the same idea -- Let's give all of the dresses Irish and Scottish names!  We're by no means experts, so hopefully the googling of Gaelic and Celtic names in addition came up with accurate results.

McAuley is Scottish. Quigley is Irish (which is Siobhan's last name & my maiden name).
Siobhan's name is Irish.  My name (Kelin) is Irish.
Sure, eventually, we'll be down to the names that just look like a ton of vowels squished next to each other, but for right now the idea works. 

Extra:  Remember Dexter?  The cute little guy I posted a picture of in the last blog?  Well, Siobhan named him that partially because his ears are the same color as the hair of the Showtime series character Dexter.  Call me cheesy, but when we came across the names Lundy and Quinn (both of Gaelic origin), I knew it was meant to be!

No comments:

Post a Comment